Saturday, September 13, 2008

Resumes and Portfolios Gone Web 2.0


As my senior year of college is underway, I'm constantly thinking about job searching, creating an outstanding cover letter, resume and portfolio. It never stops. So I say to myself "How could I explain to a potential employer why I'm the best person for the job and also more about me?" Well, thanks to the new social media craze and OSU professor, Bill Handy, I'm able to do latter. Market myself VisualCV style!

VisualCV is an Internet-based resume that allows professional to build and manage an online career portfolio that comes alive with informational keyword pop-ups, video, pictures and social media networking. 

Having an Internet-based resume and portfolio allows potential employers to view your work before and after the interview. You'll become more accessible and on the employers mind when making the final decision to hire you or someone else.  VisualCV offers you a chance to upload a 2 minute video of yourself discussing your experiences. 

It's innovative and fresh. I envision the industry going paperless and moving toward this form of media, which leads me into my senior thesis. 

For my thesis, I plan to contact PRSA members nationwide from all sectors of public relations and ask what do they look for in a portfolio and resume, what they expect to see in a resume and portfolio, and their thoughts regarding digital resumes and portfolios. 

Sounds great! Doesn't? 

If you're reading my blog entry. Stop! and visit VisualCV's Web site at http://www.visualcv.com

Best, 
GPaul


No comments: