Monday, September 1, 2008

Build Your Network on LinkedIn

The first week of class, a classmate and good friend of mine, Evan Black told me about a great Web site that would not only increase my blog readership, but also network with key professionals in the field of public relations. 

I thought to myself, "maybe I should check the Web site out, it couldn't hurt." 

If you want to tailor your resume, build a network with key professionals in the field of public relations, find classmates and search for jobs in your specific field. LinkedIn is for YOU! 

What's so great about LinkedIn, is your ability to see what professionals has viewed your profile and you can easily add them to your network initially building mutually beneficial relationship. That's what PR is all about! Within the last 5 days, I've had senior account executives, human resource and marketing managers viewing my profile. 

As I mentioned before, it's your resume in an electronic format for professionals viewing pleasure 24 hours a day. Several OSU students who graduated last year are on LinkedIn and  they've already given me great contacts. 

Check out LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com and add me to your network. 

Best, 

GPaul 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and I totally agree having a linkedin page. Another tool you might want to check out is friendfeed. Chris Brogan blogged about its use as a collaborative tool. Well worth checking out. You can read it here - http://www.chrisbrogan.com/how-to-use-friendfeed-as-a-collaborative-business-tool/.

As a side, if you were a member of the Oklahoma Social Media Club (www.oklasocialmediaclub.org) you would already know about it since a member posted the article earlier last week.... ahem...

Keep blogging, you never know who is reading!!

GPaul said...

Bill,

Thanks for your post and continuing to read my blog. I didn't know about friendfeed, I'll have to check it out. I agree, I need to become a member of the Oklahoma Social Media Club. I'll get on that ASAP.

Thanks for the side note of "you never know who's reading," makes me nervous.