Monday, September 29, 2008

Branding Your Name to Market Yourself


Last week, the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) - OSU Chapter, hosted a social media interactive workshop with PR pro and social media advocate, Sam Sims. Sam discussed the power of social media and the different social media Web sites such as Twitter, my personal favorite, Wordpress and Facebook. 

Sam not only showed us a virtual tour of his Twitter account, but also mentioned other ways to find his blog, Facebook and etc. Sam mentioned that his name is his brand, which everyone in the social media world, knows Sam as "samsims." 

This made me stop and think, how can I brand my name so it can be not only marketable but also recognizable? 

I've brainstormed multiple names, for those of you who follow me on Twitter I've changed my name about twenty times now; however, it's difficult to develop a name because I have two first names. 

It's not uncommon for someone to mistake my last name as my first name and my first name as my last name, which I politely say, "My name is Germaine, not Paul." It happens. When I first started school, my kindergarten teacher, Ms. Andrews, called me by my last name for about a week. Yes, I have a great memory. 

All of last week, I've been thinking about a name. The one that rings a bell is "GPaul," the name was created by the former Daily O'Collegian editor in chief, Jenny Redden.  I like it a lot. However, it still adds to the confusion of Paul being my first name. 

Then, I thought, "GP," initials are OK, but I do not think it's a good marketing tool for me. 
Or I could simply go by "GermaineP." 

I know this may sound ridiculous, but this is very important. Everyone brands their name. I want people to be able to recognize me in the social media world. 

So my question to all of my blog readers, what do you think my brand name should be? I'm conducting a poll. 

Until next time, 

GPaul, which might be subject to change depending on the response I receive from you all. 






4 comments:

BonnieAnn said...

I vote GPaul. It's easy to say, easy to remember, and (very important) easy to type. I think it's catchy, also an important trait in a personal brand.

GPaul said...

Bonnie,

My faithful blog reader, thanks for the comment and suggesting "GPaul." I love it. And it's catchy. Have a good night.

The Naked Wife said...

I think you should go with GPaul as well, perhaps because I like the correlation with vtrammell, my own personal brand. Although whichever you pick, it will help to sync up all your different social media accounts.

If all else fails, you can always just start answering to Paul. It might make your life easier. :)

GPaul said...

Val,

Thanks for the response. I like GPaul a lot. It's a winner. I plan on changing all of my social media accounts to say "GPaul."