Monday, October 20, 2008

Twitter Helps Confront Rumors in Stillwater


The evolution of Twitter is phenomenal. Friends, faculty, staff and family have jumped on the bandwagon of social media and it continues to grow. If the founders continue to think strategically, Twitter will soon be better than Facebook. Yes, I said it. 

I've mentioned Twitter in several of my posts, but I didn't come to grasp with the importance of Twitter until last Thursday, the day before OSU alumni, faculty, staff and students would  partake in the No. 1 Homecoming in the nation, "America's Greatest Homecoming: generation COWBOY!"

Rumors started to circulation among the OSU community that the construction on Sixth and Monroe wouldn't be completed before the Homecoming weekend. The completion of the construction was essential to a successful Homecoming, in my opinion. The revenue gained during Homecoming weekend surpasses all other home game days in Stillwater. 

The incomplete construction would have effected walkarounds and "The Strip." 

I learned about this construction issue via Twitter from Sam Sims, OSU alumnus and Jones PR senior account executive. Then a friend of mine and PR major, Jamie Mitcham, jumped into Sam's and I Twitter discussion, which somehow became a newsroom within a matter of seconds. 

I decided to get to bottom of this rumor and find out the truth behind the construction on Sixth and Monroe. This is where having a great relationship with news editors as a future PR practitioner is key to a successful PR career. I called the Editor in Chief, Jaclyn Cosgrove, of the Daily O'Collegian to get to bottom of the rumor. Jaclyn informed me that Sixth and Monroe would be open in time for Homecoming weekend and the story about the construction was going to be on the front page of the Daily O'Collegian and the Stillwater NewsPress the following day. 

In a matter of minutes, I informed both Sam and Jamie of the great news, which was disseminated throughout Twitter and Facebook. Ironically, both Jamie and I started to receive Facebook messages asking us updates on what was going on with the construction. 

The morale of the story is not only how power social media is becoming, especially Twitter, but also the importance of maintaining a credible relationship with newspapers in solving problems and minimizing the impact of rumors. 

If you do not have Twitter, get it now! It's absolute free. Visit http://www.twitter.com. My twitter is g_paul. Follow me. 

Until next time, 

GPaul 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMj0TwktkQ&feature=related

Use the power of Twitter only for good.

-B. Schmidt