Friday, August 22, 2008

A Weekend Crisis Resolved In a Matter of Seconds

It's Friday morning, and I said to myself,"I've made it through week one." But of course, I started to celebrate a little too early.


I received an e-mail via Blackberry stating that the new member applications for the College of Arts and Sciences Student Council had different times for turning in the application. The application reads "deadline 4:30 p.m.," while the OSU Headlines reads "deadline 5:30 p.m."

As the vice president of council, I'm in charge of new membership recruitment. I thought, what am I to do in this situation?

I thought about my SGA crisis earlier this week and from the advice I received from an OSU alumni and accredited public relations professiona, Sam Sims, regarding my last crisis, which he said "never stop communicating and remember your audience."

I decided to take action with the public relations officer for the Arts and Sciences Student Council, who happens to be a PR major and a good friend of mine. We never stopped communicating.

We edited the OSU Headlines with the correct time, sent a mass e-mail out to all of the students within the College of Arts and Sciences and we also used the College of Arts and Sciences homepage to notify future council members.

Speaking with our adviser, she said we have time since applications aren't due until Sept.4, but we needed to inform our audience, which are the students within the College of Arts and Sciences, of this minor mistake.

I learned yet another lessoned about communicating effectively and knowing how to handle a situation of that magnitude that could have potentially turned into an issue in such a short amount of time.

Stay tune for what's next to come in "When Reality Hits, Am I Ready?"

Best,

GPaul

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question for you, dear friend. Couldn't you just have accepted applications until the later deadline, since it was just an hour?

Ha! First comment!

GPaul said...

Valerie,

Thanks for being the first to comment on my blog. It made my day! To answer your question, yes we could have accepted the applications for the later time. However, deadlines are key as you know and we wanted to avoid as much confusion as possible. But we decided to hold the application deadline open until 5:30 in case the students did not get the memo.

Best,

GPaul

Anonymous said...

Way to handle that mini crisis! Oh hunny, I've been there... and it totally catches you off guard! Great blog by the way... I'm always impressed :)

-Meg :)

GPaul said...

Thanks Meg for the comment on the blog. Mini crisis though can be a problem, they're always solved in a matter of seconds. However, taking Brooks Garner's PR Crisis Communications course. It was more of an issue than a crisis, but at least I'm learning something. Thanks so much again. I hope you continue to read.

Best,

GPaul

GPaul said...

Thanks Meg for the comment on the blog. Mini crisis though can be a problem, they're always solved in a matter of seconds. However, taking Brooks Garner's PR Crisis Communications course. It was more of an issue than a crisis, but at least I'm learning something. Thanks so much again. I hope you continue to read.

Best,

GPaul